Hello my sassy mama’s and friends! If you’re new here then you should know that laundry is one of my favorite household chores and even when I don’t have enough for one load, I find a reason to do the laundry! Way back when the girls were little, I stuck to the rule my mother always taught me…..you only need 5 outfits. I was embarrassed at the fact that I had to go to school wearing the same clothes every week but that’s only because back then, I didn’t know how to style them differently. I’m sure we have more than five total outfits today but our wardrobe is condensed. Here’s 5 laundry hacks that will have you on top of your A game if you’re a busy mom or someone who just doesn’t enjoy cleaning them.
- eliminate your stack- clothing is really hard for some people to get rid of but if you aren’t wearing it, haven’t worn it for at least a couple of months, and/or won’t fit in it ever again…..it’s time to go bye-bye. Once a month I go through our closets and purge! The feeling is simply FABULOUS. And this helps lighten the laundry chaos.
This is the perfect time to tackle your daily household chores and start a more minimalist life.
- buy more whites- the rule of thumb is to go with a much cleaner atmosphere & white towels, linens and clothing is always easier to wash. Besides, they smell way better than colors. To clean:
a.) wash all towels and linens separately with liquid laundry detergent, oxygen booster, white vinegar and/or 1/4 cup of bleach. This brightens and leaves quality towels lasting longer with less stains, etc.
b.) dab any clothing with stains with purex laundry soap or a stain remover of your choice, let sit and then wash the same way as A but without bleach.
- do laundry daily- this is a must if you have kids, lots of work clothing mixed with casual, etc. A load a day keeps the mama at bay!!
- place in better baskets- these baskets are super adorable and remind you that laundry is truly not that daunting. I often find things at rummage sales ( like big wicker baskets ) and use them for different purposes. It also makes doing laundry more fun. Try it, you’ll see!
- don’t overfill- I cannot tell you how annoying this is and how much it doesn’t clean your clothes. Pro Tip: never overload your clothing in one load and also never do whites with colors, professional clothing with casual, etc. Just do more loads in lesser quantities:
a.) separate clothing into your baskets by color, casual and professional
b.) start a load as soon as you can followed by another load
c.) when you do smaller loads more frequently, the overwhelm doesn’t kick in. You’ll feel on top of your game and accomplish so much more because you are actually getting a break in between by folding less clothes each load.
I could carry on and on about laundry. I want you to know that it doesn’t have to be such an awful thing to do. By getting different style baskets, eliminating the clothing you no longer need and doing smaller loads makes such a BIG DIFFERENCE.
Hang tight and let us know what works for you!